University of Leicester Space Park
The University of Leicester Space Park is a £46.4 million facility constructed by Bowmer & Kirland to provide a collaborative community of industry, academics and students working together to drive growth in the space sector. UK astronaut Tim Peake officially opened the facility in March 2022.
What We Did
The University specified P4 to provide a self-testing emergency lighting system for the entire development. P4’s in house design team completed the emergency lighting design in 2019 ensuring compliance with BS5266.
P4’s M-Web FWSD fully automatic self-test emergency lighting system and its wireless communication option proved to be the ideal solution. Leicester University can be confident they are meeting all legislative requirements as the system automatically monitors and tests six hundred wireless emergency lights and exit signs. Test times are set to ensure emergency lighting testing does not impact on the use of the building with all records automatically retained for four years.
The Space Park is not on the main campus, so the fully automatic self-test solution enables the remote monitoring of the site. In 2023 the University of Leicester added the P4 Cloud platform which covers not only Space Park but other University buildings that also have the P4 system installed. This enables the estates department to monitor all buildings from one centralised portal, improving efficiency and ensuring optimum safety across the estate.
- Assured compliance with emergency lighting testing standards.
- Optimised safety in the event of mains power being lost.
- Centralised remote monitoring of emergency lighting performance.
- Fault reports are emailed directly to the maintenance team identifying fault location and type, enabling quick rectification.
- Minimal disruption – the university can set times when it is convenient to automatically and individually test the emergency lights to fit with the use of the building.
- Ease of installation – wireless communication reduced the requirement for internal wiring.
- Market leading after sales support.