Hammersmith Hospital is a major teaching hospital in West London and part of the Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust. This hospital is internationally renowned for clinical research, historically specialising in the heart and kidney, and now includes an angioplasty suite, a cancer centre, leukaemia wing and the West London Renal and Transplant Centre.
P4 Limited began its relationship with Hammersmith Hospital in 2005, when the hospital was seeking to replace its outdated emergency lighting. The initial project was to upgrade a small section of the hospital and prepare the wider site for future roll-out. The priority for the client was to find a self-testing system that would reduce the burden on its maintenance team and minimise disruption to patients and healthcare staff.
What We Did
- Installed P4’s state of the art M-web+, a fully automatic, addressable self-testing lighting monitoring system, initially for a small section of the hospital.
- Worked with the client to ensure it laid the groundwork for the site-wide rollout of the system in the future, by deploying master bus communication cables throughout the site.
- Provided 1,400 emergency lights throughout the site over 28 Collector Boxes.
- Delivered bespoke, individual training to hospital maintenance staff.
- To date, P4 has replaced the existing emergency lighting across half of the hospital site, substantially reducing maintenance costs thanks to M-web+’s self-testing capability.
- Unnecessary ward access has been eliminated in the areas serviced by M-web+, as the system automatically tests and reports on performance.
- Installation costs have been minimised through installing the Master bus cabling in advance of roll-out.
- Market leading six-year warranty for battery life.
- Ongoing ad-hoc support from P4’s ECS ( Electrotechnical Certification Scheme) and DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) accredited engineers.
Ronald Bryant, Deputy Head of Estates, Imperial NHS Trust said: ”
“We chose to work with P4 as the leading specialist in this area, with a proven track record in providing highly effective and cost-efficient emergency lighting. Our priority at all times is our patients, and so the self-testing capability is very important. Not only does it significantly reduce the need for maintenance teams to enter wards and disturb both staff and patients, but it frees up our teams to focus on other key tasks. By working with P4 at the outset we were prepared for further expansion, which has now been delivered smoothly and efficiently.”